Mid-Autumn Festival 2023: When & How to celebrate?
Mid-Autumn Festival / Moon Festival 2023 – Friday, September 29! The Mid-Autumn festival is a celebratory day for many East Asian Countries, in which people use an excuse to worship the moon for the blessings it provides and also to spend time with family. So the next time someone tries to become a smarty pant and ask you questions like- what has three names and celebrates the moon, simply show your best smug smile to them and reply that it is a Chinese festival revolving around the moon!
Mid-Autumn Festival also is known as the mooncake festival or moon festival falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month. It is when families in china gather around to taste and express gratitude for the autumn harvests, lighten up all the lanterns at their disposal, and worship & admire what is believed to be the fullest moon of the year.
The celebratory day is not limited to China though many east Asian country like Vietnam, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, etc. also celebrates the day in their own fashion. Though in China the celebratory day is the second most significant day after Chinese New Year. This year the celebratory day falls on October 1st.
We have gathered a brief overview of the interesting celebratory day!
History or Legend Behind the Mid-Autumn or Moon Festival
There is a widely famous legend associated with the celebratory festival. Legend has it a hero bearing the name Hou Yi shot down 9 of the 10 suns which were making the earth burn due to their compounded overheating! This incredible feat. Earned Hou Yi a reward from the Goddess of the heavens. She gave him an elixir that had the potential to take him to the throne of heaven and make him a God. However, to protect the elixir from an evil man, the wife of Hou Yi, Chang’e drank the elixir and flew to the moon with a rabbit afterward. From then onwards, the shocked and broken Hou Yi, used to place his wife’s favorite food on a table on the day of the fullest moon waiting with the hopeful wish of seeing his wife return to him.
The moon worshipping festival can be traced back to 3000 years ago during the Zhou dynasty, however, during the Song Dynasty it was officially selected as the Mid-Autumn Festival and the date was decided to be fixed on the 15th Day of the 8th Lunar March.
How the Mid-Autumn Festival or Moon Festival is celebrated?
If you want to celebrate the Moon Festival, you can take cues from the mentioned activities-
- Visit China to participate in person:
You can simply visit China if you love traveling or are in need of a break. If you can be physically present during the festival, you can relate to the essence and nuances of the festival in a more jovial and heartfelt way.
- Have a break, have a moon cake:
Well, we got cheeky there, did you see?
You can take this day as a chance to taste the infamous Chinese mooncake which they make in order to celebrate the day. You can prepare such cakes and enjoy them with family and friends or can simply buy some from stores where it’s available in your neighborhood.
- Arrange House Party with the moon being the theme:
You can simply cash on the idea of celebrating the day by sky gazing at the moon with family and friends and enjoying delicious delicacies, as a way of celebrating the day.
Why did we Love the Mid Autumn Festival?
Hello, did you check the word festival? If you still don’t get it, ok it’s a day based on moon-gazing and you can enjoy it with family and friends and the festival encourages expressing gratitude. So, what’s not to like, mate?
Mid Autumn Festival Wishes, Quotes, Messages, Greetings, Sayings, Status, Captions 2023
1. May the brightness of moon and stars fill your life with positivity and happiness…. Wishing you a blissful and cheerful Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
2. May the round moon brings in your life a brighter, happier and more successful future….. Sending best wishes on auspicious occasion of Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
3. I wish that your celebrate this auspicious time of the year with your family and friends and are blessed with a successful year ahead….. Wishing you Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
4. When the moon is round in autumn, it is a signal that it is the time to reunite, enjoy the festivities and happy times with loved ones…. Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
Chinese mid-autumn Festival Quotes and Sayings
5. May this festival of harvest bring eternal joy and happiness in our lives….. Sending warm wishes on Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
6. When moon is perfect round, when it is the mid of autumn, it calls for celebration with hopes for a happier days ahead…. Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
7. May each and every day of your life is as happy and as bright as the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival…. Best wishes on this special occasion!!!
8. It is time to thank God for a good harvest and seek his blessings for another prosperous year…. Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
Chinese Mid-Autumn Moon Festival Slogan
9. Let us raise a toast for a happy and healthy future….. Wishing you a very blessed Mid-Autumn Day!!!
10. Wishing you a perfect life, just like the perfect round shape of the moon in Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
11. Happy Mid-Autumn Day!!!! May you are blessed with success in your future ventures.
12. May your professional and personal life are blessed with moments of joy and happiness…. Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
Mid Autumn Festival Greeting Card Messages
13. Wishing you a very Happy Mid Autumn Festival…. May you enjoy the bright moonshine with twinkling stars full of happiness and blessings for you.
14. On the occasion of Mid Autumn Festival, I am sending you warm greetings full of love, happiness and blessings.
Happy Mid Autumn Festival Wishes
15. May the Mid Autumn Festival bring along lots of goodness in your life, in your heart and in your home…. Enjoy this festival to the fullest.
16. May you enjoy the bright and happy Mid Autumn Festival with your loved ones to create beautiful memories for life.
How to Wish Happy Mid-Autumn Festival for Friends & Family 2022: Best 5 Greetings & Messages
1. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!
In Chinese: 中秋快乐!
Zhōng qiū kuài lè!
In Cantonese: zung1 cau1 faai3 lok6
2. Wish you and your family a happy Mid-Autumn Festival
In Chinese: 祝你和你的家人中秋快乐
Zhù nǐ hé nǐ de jiā rén zhōng qiū kuài lè
In Cantonese: zuk1 nei5 tung4 nei5 ge1 uk1 kei5 jan4 zung1 cau1 faai3 lok6
3. Wishing us a long life to share the graceful moonlight, though thousands of miles apart.
In Chinese: 但愿人长久，千里共婵娟
Dàn yuàn rén cháng jiǔ, qiān lǐ gòng chán juān
In Cantonese: daan6 jyun6 jan4 coeng2 gau2, cin1 lei5 gung1 sim4 gyun1
4. A bright moon and stars twinkle and shine. Wishing you a merry Mid-Autumn Festival, bliss, and happiness.
In Chinese: 皓月闪烁，星光闪耀，中秋佳节，美满快乐！
Hào yuè shǎn shuò, xīng guāng shǎn yào, zhōng qiū jiā jié, měi mǎn kuài lè!
In Cantonese: hou6 jyut6 sim2 soek3, sing1 gwong1 sim2 jiu6, zung1 cau1 gaai1 zit3, mei5 mun5 hoi1 sam1
5. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! May the round moon bring you a happy family and a successful future.
In Chinese: 祝福中秋佳节快乐，月圆人圆事事圆满
Zhù fú zhōng qiū jiā jié kuài lè, yuè yuán rén yuán shì shì yuán mǎn
In Cantonese: zuk1 fuk1 zung1 cau1 gaai1 zit3 faai3 lok6, jyut6 jyun4 jan4 jyun4 si6 si6 jyun4 mun5
Celebration Date of Mid-Autumn Festival
Well, what are you waiting for? Start making preparation to make the festival the most happening one for you this year and enjoy it like your death is near!
General Disclaimer: Every year, the United States celebrated over 1,600 National Days. So, Don’t miss a single Celebration Day. Chill, Enjoy and Celebrate Every Day with National Day Time!